Sunday, January 11, 2009

scrappy recycled shirt quilt



this past summer (as in may (as in about 9 months ago)), i started my first quilt that i intended to see all the way through all by myself. or mostly by myself at least, it's true that my mom (who is a top notch quilter that has been known for such feats as piecing (PIECING!) several species of multi colored birds, wings and all, and has been known to do such outrageous quilting endeavors as quilting the four seasons into a baby quilt which was pieced in the ever creative "squares" pattern by yours truly. yes, i have a lot to live up to) helped me start the cutting while we hung out with the fam at the jersey shore, but everything else i managed to scrape together, slowly but surely, on my own.

the whole thing is made up of 12 of my dad's and my men's dress shirts, buttons and all!, 3 thrift store pillow cases, 1 thrift store sheet, and some unbleached cotton batting. aside from the batting, which I bought new, but on sale at the discount fabric store because it was a closeout special, I think I spent about $5 on fabric. It might have taken a while, but it was dang cheap, and turned out not too shabby, if i do say so myself!

1 comments:

chantal said...

love it, love it, love it.